- Battambang town
- Phare Ponleu Selpak NGO
- Known as the countries rice bowl
- Bamboo Train...Sadly, rumour has it that bamboo trains will soon be banned...
Cambodia Battambang Province
Battambang is a province in the northwestern part of Cambodia on the Thai border.
During the Khmer Rouge, the province of Battambang, once known as the rice bowl of the country, was turned into a site of torture, killings, and starvation.
Battambang has a strong agricultural economy with rice as its primary crop and is the leading rice
Battambang is home to the SOS Children's Village and the city is situated by the Sangkae River.
The multiple use area includes some of the country's richest farmland, but nearly 330 kmē is covered by rain forest, home to a wide array of rare vegetation and wildlife.
WildAid's Maddox Jolie Pitt Project, (named for the adopted son of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt,) has provided funding for rangers to protect Samlaut's forests.
As with much of Cambodia, the French Colonial architecture is an attractive bonus of the city. It is home to some of the best preserved French colonial architecture in the country.
Cambodia Battambang Province - Info
- Capital: Battambang town.
- Population: 1mio. 4th most populated province.
- Boat Siem Reap - Battambang: Departure 7am. $25. 6-8hrs across Tonle Sap and along Sangker River. No international safety standards.
- From Siem Reap: 2:30hrs by taxi.
- From Poipet: 4hrs by bus. 3 hrs by taxi.
Cambodia Battambang Province - Attractions
- Bamboo Train: O Dambong (4km south of town) - O Sra Lav
- Wat Ek Phnom: 11th century. 11km north of Battambang. 52x49m.
- Wat Banan: 25km south of Battambang. 10th century. Popular as Khmer family picnic place on weekends.
- Kamping Pouy Lake: Handbuilt dam between 2 hills during Khmer rouge time. 35km west of Battambang. 6x1900m.
- Baset Temple: 15km from Battambang town.
- Prasat Banan: Top of 400m high Koh Tey mountain. 15km from Battambang town.
- Prasat Snung: 3 stupas. 22km from Battambang town.
- Phnom Sampov: Natural resort along national road 57.
- Sek Sak Resort:
- Nory: Bamboo train. Runs from outside city to a village with a brick factory.
- Phare Ponleu Selpak: Circus. Monday/Thursday evening. The shows are put on by students from the NGO arts school, Phare Ponleu Selpak. This organisation helps disadvantaged children and young people escape from situations connected with poverty such as begging or trafficking and to get an education, both in normal public school and in the arts.
Cambodia Battambang Province - Bamboo Train
- Between: O Dambong (4km south of town) - O Sra Lav.
- Train: Norri. 3m long wood frame covered with bamboo.
- Engine: 6hp gasoline engine.
- People: 10-15
- Load: 3tons of rice.
- Distance: 15km
- Private Bamboo Train hiring: $8
- Sadly, rumour has it that bamboo trains will soon be banned !
- Web: Lonely Planet
Cambodia Battambang Province - Links
Cambodia Battambang Province - Hotels
Cambodia Battambang Province - Topics
Cambodia Battambang Province - Social Bookmarking
Cambodia Battambang Province - Map
View Larger Map
Cambodia Battambang Province - Movie
Cambodia Battambang Province - Pictures